Moving isn’t easy so we’ve constructed this quick and simple check list that might come in handy for you and your
- If you’re renting, notify your landlord of your moving date.
- Check your contents insurance-make sure you have cover from the day your moving into your new home.
- Obtain any written quotes from several removal firms. Get references and check the limits of their insurance.
- If you’re not using professional removers, ask your friends or family to help.
- Book extra storage space if required.
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your departure.
- Start getting rid of possessions you no longer need. Split the items into separate boxes- charity shop, car boot sale or being offered to friends or
- If you need new furniture or carpets-order them now and arrange delivery for when you move in.
- Start packing non-essential items such as books and non-seasonal clothes into boxes.
- De-register from your doctors, dentist and optician, if you are moving out the area.
- Visit your local post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded. You will be charged a fee for this service but it won’t be massive fee.
- Notify your milkman and newspaper shop (if you have one) that you’ll be moving and give them a date you want the services to stop.
- If you have children or pets, arrange for someone to watch over them during the move.
- Make a list of everyone who should know about the move. Send out change of address ecards.
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company. Confirm arrival times and make sure your removers have directions to your new address.
- Arrange a time to collect the keys for your new home from the estate agent.
- Notify your bank of any changes to direct debits and standing orders.